Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Newer Post Older Post Home

Backchaining for Speaking and Presentations Preparation

I sometimes struggle putting long sentences together. For this reason I get very apprehensive when I have to present to a large audience.

The sentence above can be difficult to say correctly the first time. When I give a presentation I certainly don’t know everything I’m going to say. However, there are some parts of a presentation that you need to practise a lot.

Usually, you want to know how you are going to start and finish your introduction and your conclusion. These are important sentences, especially the first sentence. If you present your first sentence well then you build confidence which helps you during the rest of the presentation.

So we don’t need to know every word we are going to say... but we do need to practise a few key sentences.

How?

Backchaining. Here is an example of backchaining:

audience. 
large audience. 
a large audience. 
to a large audience. 
present to a large audience. 
to present to a large audience. 
have to present to a large audience. 
I have to present to a large audience. 
when I have to present to a large audience. 
apprehensive when I have to present to a large audience. 
very apprehensive when I have to present to a large audience. 
get very apprehensive when I have to present to a large audience. 
I get very apprehensive when I have to present to a large audience. 
reason I get very apprehensive when I have to present to a large audience. 
this reason I get very apprehensive when I have to present to a large audience. 
For this reason I get very apprehensive when I have to present to a large audience. 

Research shows that backchaining is a great way to practice speaking and it is much more effective than starting at the beginning when you have a problem.

Here is another example of back'chaining:

Phonetically

Non-Phonetically
/ʃən/ 
/eɪʃən/ 
/reɪʃən/ 
/ɪəˈreɪʃən/ 
/rɪəˈreɪʃən/ 
/tɪərɪəˈreɪʃən/ 
/dɪˌtɪərɪəˈreɪʃən/
shun 
ay-shun 
ray-shun 
or-ray-shun 
ree-or-ray-shun 
tia-ree-or-ray-shun 
de-tia-ree-or-ray-shun

You've just backchained the word ‘deterioration’.

So you can backchain with whole words or, if you are having problems with a specific word, you can back-chain the word alone. This method really helps learners to get the right stress and the right sounds (especially if you focus on the phonetics).

Think about how you might practise these example sentences (I've also provided the phonetic script to help you):

“Unfortunately, the deterioration of the city in the 80s led to a number of social problems.”
/ʌnˈfɔːʧnɪtli ðə dɪˌtɪərɪəˈreɪʃən əv ðə ˈsɪtɪ ɪn ðiː ˈeɪtiːz led tʊ ə ˈnʌmbə əv ˈsəʊʃəl ˈprɒbləmz/

“Good morning. Welcome to this presentation. Today I’m going to discuss issues of international trade and its relation to social welfare in various countries.”
/gʊd ˈmɔːnɪŋ/
/ˈwelkəm tə ðɪs ˌprezenˈteɪʃən/
/təˈdeɪ aiːm ˈgəʊɪŋ tə dɪsˈkʌs ˈɪʃuːz əv ˌɪntəˈnæʃənl treɪd ənd ɪts rɪˈleɪʃən tə ˈsəʊʃəl ˈwelfeə ɪn ˈveərɪəs ˈkʌntrɪz/

If you really want a challenge, try using backchaining to improve your speed and pronunciation of a tongue twister.

Remember, in general, good presentations are about
expressiveness, intonation and audience involvement.
A lot of this comes from good pronunciation and
good pronunciation comes from lots of practice!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home